Tuesday, June 5, 2012

When it comes to creating a graphic novel I find myself feeling at home "scripting" the comic using thumbnails. I've tried writing a script but in this case I have found thumbnailing preferable for this project.

Of course, I developed the story with a written outline and from there used the thumbnails to visualize the story. Below you can see a couple of pages with my thumbnails. I drew them quite tiny and made notes beside them.



From  there I took the small thumbnails and actually started to draw larger roughs into a small notebook.


In the end I just found my self creating roughs directly into the computer. I love drawing with pencil and paper and wish that I could have done this project by hand and then colour them on the computer. The reality is if I want to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time, keeping it digital will speed up the process.

I am glad that I have so much to reference with the thumbnails and roughs that I have already done, which is the majority of the story. Its good to have this foundation to work on as it gives me a lot to consider when  finalizing a page. 



I don't want to spoil my story too much so I've just given a little example of my inked work and some colour work. Colouring is turning out to be a big challenge and I have still not completely decided what style of colouring suites my inked work.





You can follow The Legend of Judiah blog here



1 comment:

  1. Great work!! I loved your colour work, it's simply awesome! All the pics are very nice. Keep posting.

    computer animation course

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Animator/illustrator/musician who enjoys listening to jazz and drawing animals in coke bottle glasses and jazz hats